Sunday, February 3, 2013

Response to Top 10 Challenges Christian Students Face in College (1-5)

The Top 10 Challenges Christian Students Face in College is from Cedarville University which is a christian college in Cedarville, Ohio. Dr. Bill Brown shared this with the college students at chapel on March 19, 2012. It was published on the Parent Prep page on the Cedarville University website, by Dr. Bill Brown.


The first challenge is the Faith challenge, which talks about how many college students struggle with find their "faith-idenity" in college. The article states that, "In high school, their faith was associated with familiar places and people. That familiarity was replaced by a college environment that made their faith seem out of place. When they faced questions about their faith, they struggled to find answers." I completely agree with because when I got to college I was afraid I was going to start partying and drinking because that’s what my parents did in college. I know for me personally I really struggled with wanting to tell others I was a Christian. Even a lot of my friends struggled with wanting to either find their own or to do act as their parents raised them. But I always think about how much God sacrificed for me and following Him is seriously the best decision I have ever made.

The second challenge is the Freedom challenge, which talks about how priorities can change when you go away to college because you can make your own rules. I haven’t really struggled with yet because I still live at home and still have to follow my mom’s rules. However I know a lot of people who have and are struggling with this. For example, one of my good friends decided to live on campus instead of staying at home and he was wild the first few months of school. He had so many rules growing up and when he got to college he wanted to be free and do whatever he wanted. Now if you ask him, he’ll say “I love having freedom and not having to check in all the time, but the rules my parents had were for my protection.” He’s a great brother in Christ, but just like a lot of Christians he struggled with the newfound freedom of not living under his parents’ roof.

The third challenge is the Diversity challenge and this is how there's not only ethnic diversity in college, but also different beliefs, world views and morals to experience. I personally struggled with and still am struggling with. It’s so hard hearing all these different beliefs and worldviews and then on top of that hearing that everyone’s view is true. But God has worked in my life so much and I just trust Him and when I have doubts I think about everything He has done for me and how much He loves me.

The fourth challenge is the Time challenge is my everyday life. This challenge is about how stressful and time consuming college is. For example, you have to study and do your homework in order to get good grades and then on top of that you have to fit in time for friends. Trying to find enough time to do everything you want to do in college is so hard. From having loads of homework to working over 15 hours a week and then trying to fit in all of your extra-curricular activities is very stressful. Everyday I feel like there’s not enough time in the day and that I’m running around with my head cut off like a chicken. This semester especially is very stressful because I have 6 classes. But when I get stressed or overwhelmed I just pray and God always take the load off my shoulders.

The fifth challenge is the Social challenge. The article states that this challenge is about "The rarefied air of the college social life caused students to engage in activities they normally would have avoided." I’m going to talk about I haven’t struggled with because I’ve done the whole “party scene” in junior high and high school. However I know a lot of people who were Christians in high school and now have sex and drink all the time. In today’s society we are told that college is all about partying and having sex. It’s so hard to stay away from it, but if you love Jesus you will want to stay away from it because He loves you more than anything. 

1 comment:

  1. I like this blog, because I can related to my personal status, but you mentioned top 10, is rest 5 are going to be up as well?

    ReplyDelete