Monday, February 11, 2013

My Experience at Greek Conference

      Greek conference is a christian conference in Indianapolis, Indiana where sororities and fraternities from the Greater Northwest region (Ohio, Michigan, Indiana and Illinois) come together to learn more about God. I am not in a sorority yet but I am planning on rushing in the Fall with my best friend Rachel. We went to learn more about sororities and to learn tips on how to make Greek Cru (Campus Crusade for Christ) at UT better.
      The speaker at Greek conference was a guy named Justin O'Malley who is in charge of the summer project program for Cru. He was in a fraternity in college and had a lot of great stories to tell the 300+ college students that were there. The first night we had a session about how to get more of Jesus and less of partying. I really liked his talk because when I do join a sorority I will have advice to give my sorority sisters. After the session we broke off into the different sororities and fraternities, but since Rachel and I aren't in one yet we went with our leader's sorority she was in when she was in college, which was Delta Gamma. After that we got to play games with everyone and had a huge trivia game. The next day we woke up and had breakfast with everyone and then had an early morning session with worship. The worship band was really awesome and I had so much fun worshiping with everyone.
      At the morning session, the topic was about relationships and how to be in healthy relationships with the opposite sex and your friends. After the morning session we had lunch all together and it as fun because they split us up randomly so we could meet new people. Later in the afternoon we had our outreach opportunities. Rachel and I got to go to IUPUI and share with the college students there about Jesus. It was such a great experience for me because sharing my faith is definitely not my forte. However, the two people we talked to were very open and I had a lot of fun getting to know their individual stories. After the outreach we had campus time where you got to go to dinner with your campus. That was fun because there were only six of us all together and we went to the Hard Rock and just got to know each other better.
      After dinner/campus time we had another session where everyone got to share their outreach experiences, it was so great hearing how God worked that day in everyone's lives. After the session we had a dance party where the theme was "America" and everyone was dressed in red, white and blue. Our campus didn't know what the theme was so instead we just played games. Our guy leader Chris is such a prankster and kept daring all of to do embarrassing things. Like I had to interrupt this huge game with strangers and ask them to do the wave with me, it was funny but super awkward. The next day was the wrap-up day where Justin O'Malley recapped the last couple days. It was sad because I wish we had more time, but overall I had a great time. If you are in a sorority or fraternity and want to learn more about Jesus, I highly recommend going to Greek conference next year because you never know it could change your life.

1 comment:

  1. your writing is good that I cant really say anything to make it improve, however, since you when to the conference, if there is a picture, post it up. it make people focus and easy to get their attention. and also, maybe a link? could help.

    ReplyDelete