Sunday, March 10, 2013

Response to Top 10 Challenges Christian Students Face in College (6-10)


The Top 10 Challenges Christian Students Face in College is from Cedarville University which is a christian college in Cedarville, Ohio. Dr. Bill Brown shared this with the college students at chapel on March 19, 2012. It was published on the Parent Prep page on the Cedarville University website, by Dr. Bill Brown.

The sixth challenge is the Relationship challenge, which states that the freshman crave a new relationship because there are so many new options. For me this hits right at home because relationships are fun and exciting. However, I have morals and I desperately want to stick to them. I believe that God has my future husband for me and yeah dating is fun, but I'd rather wait for the "one".

The seventh challenge is the Community Challenge. This challenge says that when you get to college it can be hard to find the same Christian community that you had in high school for four years. This challenge doesn't relate to me because right off the bat I got involved in Cru and received the same loving community just like in my high school youth group. 

The eighth challenge is the Input challenge, which says that, "Freshmen usually are intimidated by college professors. The tsunami of information in classes made it difficult to think through the subject matter." This for me is so true because I was so used to being praised in high school and being the "teacher's pet" and now I feel like a number. Even though a few of my classes are small, at the end of the semester I have to start all over. That's the one thing I miss about high school, being able to be in the same classes for a year. 

The ninth challenge is the Output challenge. This challenge is about how when you're in college it is hard to volunteer and be involved in your church because you have so much homework or other schools related activities. I can relate to this challenge because this semester I feel like I am completely overwhelmed with homework, studying and papers. I really don't have time for anything. 

The last challenge is the Commitment challenge, which is how a lot of freshman don't know what they want to do with their lives and have a hard time committing to anything. As said in the article, "They did not make commitments about their priorities and set limits on behavior." I do not struggle with this. I've known since I was freshman in high school what I wanted to be. 

These challenges may come from a Christian college, but most of them relate to every single college student. I hope these challenges show you that you're not alone and a lot of people struggle their first couple years in college. I'm only in my second semester and I am a complete wreck, but I have faith in God that He'll get me through this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment